Surveyor I- NY/NJ
Company: American Bureau of Shipping
Location: Cherry Hill
Posted on: January 18, 2023
The Surveyor I is an entry or junior-level position for new
graduates and/or those candidates with less than five (5) years of
experience in an applicable industry. The Surveyor I, under a
direct supervisor, performs work involving conventional surveying
practices. The primary function is to develop the ability to
effectively examine and report on vessels and other marine
structures during and after construction relative to compliance
with the applicable requirements for maintaining the vessel in
Classification with ABS and meeting associated statutory and
special service requirements related to Safety of Life at Sea,
Loadline, Tonnage, Cargo Gear and Pollution Prevention
What You Will Do (with the assistance and guidance of an
experienced ABS Surveyor):
- Acts as a professional specialist for the organization in the
application of related rules, regulations, requirements, concepts,
principles, and processes.
- Performs routine surveys on classed vessels, platforms, or
other marine structures and at manufacturers for classification and
compliance with statutory requirements.
- Prepares technically accurate and timely reports of inspections
and surveys performed.
- Engages in contact with clients to resolve problems within
areas of expertise.
- Maintains survey files in an orderly and up-to-date manner in
the area of responsibility.
- Develops the skills necessary for the administration of office
procedures and monitoring of business performance at an assigned
- Through broader and more technically challenging work
assignments, the individual must develop a thorough understanding
of field operations, policies, methods, and procedures.
What You Will Need:
Education and Experience
- Qualifications from a tertiary institution within a relevant
field of engineering or physical science (minimum two (2) years
- Qualifications from a marine or nautical institution and
relevant seagoing experience as a certificated ship officer,
- Proficiency in the English language commensurate with the scope
of statutory certification and services and, before assignment,
with their future work.
- Appropriate certification and/or licenses in areas of
specialization may be required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Able to communicate fluently in Mandarin Chinese and English,
verbally and written.
- Ability to develop a working knowledge of ABS Rules, Guides,
statutory regulations, and related instructions, as well as the ABS
Employee Safety Policy.
- Ability to read engineering plans and have a basic
understanding of shipbuilding practices and vessel
- Ability to perform surveys in the prescribed format.
- Knowledge of computer programs or software packages related to
- Knowledge of related technical interfaces required for group
- Knowledge of ships' engineering systems and machinery.
- Ability to communicate, orally and in writing, pertinent
information relative to assigned area of technical
- Ability to analyze problems and propose solutions.
- Responsiveness to customers and the ability to work well with
- Ability to become familiar with the ABS Health, Safety,
Quality, and Environmental Management Systems.
Will report to the Principal, Senior, or Surveyor-in-Charge of the
assigned port. This position does not have any direct reports.
Pay Range: $65,000 - $90,000
Travel to and from survey sites and manufacturing plants going
aboard various marine vessels, offshore platforms, or structures.
Some work may be performed in an office environment. Some work may
be performed in confined spaces, and it may be necessary to climb
vertical ladders of various heights, and construction staging of
various heights. The use of small tools and the wearing of Personal
Protective Equipment (PPE), in accordance with ABS safety
procedures, may be required.
Keywords: American Bureau of Shipping, Cherry Hill , Surveyor I- NY/NJ, Professions , Cherry Hill, New Jersey
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!